June Simmons


Cell: 250.221.0672 |

BC Water Licences

March 1, 2022 is the deadline to apply for an existing use groundwater licence. Applications submitted on or before this date will have the application fee waived.

If you use groundwater for any non-domestic purposes, including farming or a home based business, you must obtain a water licence and pay an annual fee based on usage.

If your well is used for domestic uses only it does not require a licence but you are encouraged to register it if it has not been. There are no fees for this and the process is different than what is outlined below.

We have a small farm and use some water for irrigation. I submitted our Existing Use Groundwater Application online this weekend starting here:

The process was relatively straight forward even though our well was not in the well registry.

Here are some more helpful links:

Frequently asked questions:

Video Tutorial on how to apply - I watched this and I recommend it: 

Article with some background information and commentary from the Tyee:

No comments

Post Your Comment:

MLS® property information is provided under copyright© by the Vancouver Island Real Estate Board and Victoria Real Estate Board. The information is from sources deemed reliable, but should not be relied upon without independent verification.